Below are common questions we’ve received over the years. If you’ve got a question that doesn’t appear below, feel free to contact us.
Last updated July 1st, 2015.
- What are your usage terms/What is your policy?
- How do I download?
- What’s with the offsite downloads?
- Where did you get…?
- How do I install the content?
- I can’t find it!
- How do I use the maternity clothes?
- Your morph replacements don’t work!
- How do I use recategorized separates?
- Why do you texture reference your clothes?
- What happened to the sims2packs?
- How do I install the content?
- Why don’t you upload to the gallery?
- Why are there missing items in the house?
What are your usage terms/What is your Policy?
- Show in stories, photo shoots, etc. Credit isn’t mandatory but would be appreciated.
- Use textures in whole or in part for your own work as long as credit and a link back to UYS is present. Free sites only –NO TSR!– This includes conversions to new meshes.
TS3: Feel free to convert TS2 items by Yuichen or Kayleigh (contact Iosiren for her own TOS) but please send us a note so we can link to it, thus avoiding 18464 copies of it across the net. Standard policy applies.
- Edit our meshes to your heart’s content, but make sure to credit all those involved in the creation of the mesh and link back to UYS.
- Package our items with Sims and lots — as long as they stay off TSR/paysites.
- Share links to specific pages freely with friends via email, message boards, etc.
You may not:
- Share our meshes with your recolors. Sending your visitors to UYS instead will ensure they have the most recent version.
- Age or gender convert our meshes without prior consent. Sometimes we only have time to do the one age/gender of a mesh upon release but plan to complete the set shortly. So no one’s time is wasted, please send us a message to be sure the project isn’t already planned or underway.
- Use our work -meshes or textures- on anything you plan to upload to any paysite. This includes sites with donation gifts or those who collect money via adfly. If you have to pay to get access to something it’s still pay, people!
- Deliberately re-upload our content so others can access it. Our site is perfectly open to anyone so there is NO need to re-upload!
- Include with anything you plan to upload to TSR. In other words: Keep our shit OFF TSR!
Each download is nestled in one or more appropriate categories. Most downloads simply have a gigantic DOWNLOAD button to the right of the previews. Anything with separate downloads (age groups or outerwear) will have those located below the creator box, possibly in a drop-down menu if there are multiple links. We try to label everything clearly so please read closely (especially on older downloads that haven’t been updated yet) so you know what exactly you’re downloading! Here are some icons (and their descriptions) we use to help make things easier:
Mesh included/creator link
Mesh or EP/SP required
What’s with the offsite downloads?
As creators we like to give back to the sites we frequent. In addition to remaining where they were originally shared, we now upload them to UYS in categories based on origin. For example, Kayleigh’s Postpartum Modesty is filed under female bottoms and Garden of Shadows.
Rather than making a huge credits listing, we will leave it at this: chances are it came from one of the websites on the links page, but if you’d rather not dig for it, send a message with a link to the download page and ask. We’d be more than happy to tell you where we got it, if we remember that is. ;)
The Sims 2
All files are in *.zip format which makes the file smaller and faster to download. You will need a program that can unzip and extract files, such as WinRAR or 7zip. Windows computers (not sure about Macs) can recognize and house *.zip files, but using a program makes the process much easier and allows you to extract files in other formats, as well.
Once you have either of the above programs, right click or double click the *.zip file and select the “extract files…” option. A little window will come up of every directory on your computer. Navigate to the appropriate Sims directory.
Clothing, accessories, objects, *.package format of walls and floors:
My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads
Lots, Sims, *.sim2pack format of walls and floors:
Double click *.zip file and double click icon inside. The installer (either Sims 2 or the Clean Installer – whichever you have) will automatically unpack the files to your downloads folder. If you’re only using the installer that came with the game the files will be bizarrely named with random numbers and letters.
Please note: Using the Clean Installer will not only make it easier to identify content from Sims and lots, but you have the option to deselect pieces of custom content packed with them. For example, you download a Sim and you liked everything on it except its hair. Deselecting the file labeled “Hair” will install everything but that. The Clean Installer also enables you to install a lot or Sim that has given you an error about Expansion Pack data on the regular installer. Get it here!
Extract *.sc4 and *.png files to My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/SC4Terrains.
Also, if you have Nightlife or a newer EP/SP you can add sub-directories (sub-folders) in your downloads folder. This will better organize your mass of files and make it easy to find something that has possibly caused your game errors.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Did you move the item to the right spot or try to extract a house to your downloads folder? Check the question above for instructions.
- Did you download the mesh? Nothing will work without its mesh.
- Do you have the expansion or stuff pack that may be required?
If you continue to have problems and all of these issues seem to be correct, there are more detailed instructions and help topics located on MTS and other popular download communities.
How do I use the maternity clothes?
The Pregnant Sims Wear Any Outfit mod will let your Sim wear anything that has a morph. As not all custom meshes include pregnancy morphs you’ll only be able to use certain ones, but there are a good amount of meshes around the community. Of course, as with any custom content, you will need to find the version of the files that are compatible with your game.
Alternatively, there’s mesh replacements for Maxis clothing that add morphs, allowing your Sim to wear pretty much everything that’s already in the game. There are various sets of default replacement meshes at MTS.
Your morph replacements don’t work!
- Read the section above for using maternity clothes if you haven’t already.
- Pay attention when downloading. Some replacements are add-ons, meaning that the mesh file is required in addition to my morph package. Be sure there are no mesh duplicates because it will stop the morphs from appearing. The other type are true mesh replacments with the a prefix such as _morphs or _pregmorph added on the end. In this case you would simply delete the original mesh (which is named for you on the download page) and drop my edit in.
- Check that you have the most recent file on our mesh page.
- If it’s still not working, send a message via our contact form and I’ll try to figure out what could be causing the conflict. Perhaps someone else has done a replacement that I am not aware of.
How do I use recategorized separates?
As with regular everyday separates you can not use them unless you have at least one top and bottom. However, they will not show up in the other categories by default. You must buy them as everyday wear first. As such, you will not see separates in other categories within CAS.
While there is potential to clutter up your separates catalog, in the long run it is worth it to have endless possibilities, in my opinion. Consider for a moment that your stubborn female sim is wearing her favorite jeans and docs with a long sleeved tee, but she has to go into town to pick up some last minute Christmas gifts for everyone’s least favorite aunt and uncle. Any normal person would throw on a heavy sweater or jacket rather than completely switch outfits as sims normally do. Assuming her bottoms are categorized as outerwear in addition to everyday, she’d be able to wear the same pants with her toasty sweater or jacket. This kind of thing comes in handy for storytellers or players who desire continuity.
Please note our separates have been tagged so assuming they aren’t in a large set already (such as birthday gifts) they will appear below the download content in Related Posts. If you’d prefer to see all tagged posts in one list, see this page.
I’m not sure how many creators are doing this now but Skell definitely is. Those downloads aren’t tagged though, so you’ll have to dig for them.
Why do you texture reference your clothes?
Texture referencing saves space because the slaved items do not contain any texture files. As most of us simmers have a problem hoarding downloads this can be nice, but there are also some drawbacks. Any time you share a sim or house that may include a slaved item, anyone who downloads it and doesn’t have the original files will encounter skintone-colored meshes or flashing blue objects. It can be a real pain to back track and find out where they came from, especially if they do not have a good description.
Just for future reference, Kayleigh prefers her downloads with the texture files in tact while Yuichen opts for texture referencing. If you prefer them the opposite of how they are shared feel free to edit them to suit your needs, and share them publicly with credit and a link to the originals.
What happened to the sims2packs?
The content installer was kind of annoying, to be honest, whether the game’s or clean installer. Granted you’ll still need it for houses…
Each sim now comes with and without custom content and can be placed into your downloads folder like any other file. All custom content is included unless a text file is present, in which case you’ll need to follow the link therein to retrieve the mesh(es). This of course is only relevant if you don’t grab the required files when initially downloading.
The Sims 3
Our downloads are in the .package format, which personally, I find easier to use. They can also be combined with other files (and should be if you have a shit ton –find Aikea’s tutorial to do so here) to reduce lag.
It is already assumed that you know how to set up your game for custom content. If not, click the link. If you have, then you now know package files go into Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims3/Mods/Packages. Yay, you!
If you’ve picked up a sim from the forum, then you must drop the file into Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/SavedSims.
- Make sure your game is ready for custom content and in the correct place; see above question.
- Downloads using in-game meshes are not added to existing presets. Keep scrolling, they’re likely to be towards the bottom.
- Double check to be sure you installed it. I know it sounds silly but I’ve done it numerous times.
How do I use the maternity clothes?
If you have no plans to use hacks, change your sim into the clothes before she starts to show, because at that point she will no longer be able to plan outfits. If she changes into something else, well, you’re shit out of luck until she conceives again.
If you are okay with using hacks, Master Controller will enable you to change her clothes at any time during the pregnancy. It can be found in NRaas > Master Controller > Stylist.
The Sims 4
Sims/lots: If you downloaded from UYS you will need to drop the files into Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Tray. Unfortunately they are not descriptive and it will be easy to confuse which files belong to which sim/lot. I don’t believe you can use subfolders.
Downloading from the Gallery will put everything where they need to be, but please note houses can appear different than they were made based on how you place them into your world. See Why are there missing items in the house? below.
CAS items/walls/floors: Drop the package files into Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Mods. You can use subfolders to keep files organized if you wish.
Why don’t you upload to the gallery?
We do! Some content doesn’t show up in Yuichen’s profile because it was flagging custom content (even when not used) but you can search the gallery with the username or hashtags specified on the regular UYS download pages, or simply follow Yuichen.
Why are there missing items in the house?
If objects are placed with moveobjects (bb.moveobjects on/off) and are really close to other items they can sometimes disappear the next time you load or move the house, or install it. I’ve learned this largely depends on how you install the lot.
According to SimsVIP, placing the lot while in Manage Worlds will result in missing objects. However, if you place it while in Build Mode they will remain.