Author Topic: Building - What's Your Style?  (Read 25886 times)

Offline Tanathir

• Elderberry
    • View Profile
Re: Building - What's Your Style?
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2010, 09:34PM »
Another trick I like to use is taking a Maxis premade house and altering it.  With the sledgehammer tool I can adjust walls and even completely gut the interior of a house.  It's pretty fun taking a premade house of fail and improving it.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2010, 09:35PM »
Have any pics of such projects? ;)

Offline Tanathir

• Elderberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:13PM »
Not at the moment.   :'(  I've been enjoying playing my families and remodeling downloaded houses too much to fix up Maxis lots.  I should try some more of that.

Offline mydearjo

• Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 06:25AM »
I build my houses with boxes too .

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2015, 07:42AM »
My houses consist of "oh a cute house that is fully furnished for download". I download it and make minor adjustments as needed.  I try to only create one story houses if I do create a house and usually it's just a random rectangle that's either too big or too small.  I honestly plan them out in my head but the actual execution of the creation is pretty blah.  I bought a book to help with that so hopefully I can get into building more houses that are decent enough to share instead of a bunch of rectangle boxes with trees and a square pool and a greenhouse.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2015, 01:48PM »
Hope it's much more inspiring :)

I've been looking at house plans lately and try to stick to them for the most part, but sometimes I just change up an existing house already in game. I've gotten pretty lazy about building.

Offline LizzyL

• Elderberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2015, 11:49AM »
I know that it is maked old thread... Sorry if I reply.

I try to find inspiration from houses photos of lots I downloaded.

My houses depend a bit on my mood or if I have something specific in mind. Sometimes I make makeovers and refurnish.

I like to mix styles : a bit oldish or classic and I like large bay windows somewhere for a small touch of modern.

I don't like to furnish too much, decorate with clutters everywhere. So basically my houses have often more plants and trees outside and indoor. What's important for me also, more than decoration, it's the quality of floors and walls, depending on what I really want for a house.

Working on some architects' paper plan can be interesting for ideas and it can be challenging sometimes.

In the early years I built a lot of Gothic houses or some kind of castles, but they need to be on large lots when they have an inside yard. They're not easily playable with Sims needing to walk long distances LOL. So I make much smaller lots, today farm styled or modern, with just the necessary rooms. I also like to have rooms under the foundation having an exit door to a garden or a beach.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2015, 12:41PM »
No worries, post away.

Lol that's understandable, who wants to wait 3 hours for a sim to walk from one end of the house to the next? :P Not to mention it's a lot of space to fill... even though I realize they weren't crazy cluttered back then.

As far as clutter goes, I think there's a limit. It's one thing to have books on a table and a box of tissues to make the place look lived in, and so much shit everywhere that you can't even walk through is another. Unless maybe you're playing a theme I guess. Not to say people can't play how they want, but if there's too much it looks kind of terrible.

Offline LizzyL

• Elderberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 29, 2015, 03:09PM »
This is true about clutters. I like to collect them for so to say my designed houses but not to possibly play with a family.

Some people use a hack to walk through places full of clutters on the floors. It seems that it can maybe cause lot crashes. However with te tons of plants I got outside and inside, I use a preventive hack by Inge Jones, to not have my Sims constantly water flowers, etc.

Once I started a mobile homes project. I hope to get into it again, because I love Gipsy homes, roulottes, etc.

I also refurnished a Moroccan palace (this one is huge on a beach) and used BB niches and bits to make alcove double beds against walls, with long curtains on the front. I try to be creative in such cases when there's a premade object (like one alcove bed from the medievalsmithy) that isn't exactly what I want for a house project.

I also like bunk beds very much, but find Inge Jones' ones very practical to use, near an alcoved window corner giving full view to the outside (forest or beach...).

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2015, 07:35PM »
Your Moroccan palace sounds really lovely :D I don't blame you for wanting something more creative. It's really neat to see it work out, and fun to try.

Hmm, I didn't know about the hack for clutter-walking. Sounds handy for those people, I guess.

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2015, 10:56AM »
Once I figure life out as a mommy, I am going to try and create some empty small starter lots and finish the challenge.  I have been downloading and I do intend to use my some plans from the books.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2015, 12:26PM »
Oh man, all the downloading I've been doing lately... it's a good thing we recently upped our package.

That sounds cool, Rana :)