Author Topic: Maxis Makeover Building Challenge | September 2015  (Read 26012 times)

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
Maxis Makeover Building Challenge | September 2015
« on: Aug 28, 2015, 01:46PM »

Welcome to the first ever UYS Maxis Makeover Building/Decorating Challenge! First and foremost we'd like everyone participating to have fun. This is in no way a competition riddled with rules or deadlines, but a way for our members to come together and share the love of building and decorating.

Please note that although this is a bimonthly challenge you will not need to finish before the next one begins. Threads will remain open for anyone to participate at any time, allowing new or returning members to get in on the fun if they're arriving a bit late. Let's be honest, life is a bitch and tends to get in the way!

Every challenge will feature one lot from each Sims game. Some months will feature residential while others will have community. If it is determined that participants all have the same EP perhaps we will do vacation destination, downtown lot, etc. You do not have to do all three game challenges if you have them installed!

The goal is to take a dud and make it snazzy. Change or remove roof types. Tear out interior walls and readjust layouts. Throw in your favorite windows and doors, replace gross wallpaper with modern panels and trade that nasty floral couch in for a sexy leather sofa. Think of it as an empty canvas, for the most part! You've got an endless pile of money so why not make it everything you've ever wanted?

There are some, yes. We want to have as little as possible so not to stunt your creativity! Plus we're lazy and don't want to enforce them.

Challenge Rules
  • HAVE FUN!
  • Exterior walls must remain the same shape.
  • Community lots cannot change type.

We only ask that the outside of the chosen building maintain it's shape, otherwise you're completely demolishing the place and it no longer holds resemblance to the original. Community lots are to be redesigned with their original purpose in mind: a coffee shop must remain a coffee shop.

You may use any wall coverings, windows/doors, roofing, etc you want. There are no CC restrictions- use as much or as little as you'd like!

Note: I forgot to say there could be no room additions to the houses so this month we'll allow it! I'd also like to point out that you can remove porches, shrink or enlarge them, and in the case of Cormorant you may edit the support columns made of walls below the house if you moved the walkway. As long as you aren't changing the main wall shape it's all good! :)

That aside, the only other rule is that you must post in the challenge thread. Standard posting rules apply.

Your September 2015 challenge lots are all base game residential homes. Make the occupants as poor or wealthy as you'd like! Downloads are available on the off chance you've already madeover or bulldozed these lots.

73 Road to Nowhere, Strangetown
[ Download ]

Cormorant
180 Wright Way, Sunset Valley

[ Download ]

Sandtrap Flat, Oasis Springs
[ Download ]

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2015, 09:37PM by yuichen »

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
Re: Maxis Makeover Building Challenge | September 2015
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2015, 07:22PM »
Participants

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2015, 01:44AM by yuichen »

Offline Gleetus the Great

• Elderberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2015, 05:32AM »

Haven't posted here in awhile... I would have done the TS2 challenge, of course, but that is a mess; I'm not touching that. I added a few walls to the back to turn the "porch" that was there into a screened-in porch/sunroom. I hope that's okay? also I hope I did this right
HAI AHM GLEETUS! o/

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2015, 01:51PM »
It looks so cute! I love how clean, bright and sunny it is! I think that's probably why I love that neighborhood so much. As for the sun room, I really love it! There weren't supposed to be additions but I see now that the rules didn't actually say that so we can ignore it this time :)

Lol yes, the Sims 2 house is kind of a nightmare. When I finish my Sims 4 house I plan to tackle that one. Ought to be interesting!

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2015, 07:27PM »
Very cute.  I love the yellow brightness. 

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2015, 03:49PM »

My idea was to take two shipping containers and shove them together. I got rid of most of the porch, leaving a small sitting area in the front and smaller one in the back. Obviously the brick inside isn't real, but I liked the more industrial feel it gives.

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2015, 07:23PM »
Well first I would like to say that your house looks amazing.  Second I would like to say or ask why does 73 Road to Nowhere have water in the basement.  Um that's freaky.  Thirdly and lastly.  I waited an hour and 18 minutes for my game to load and then it crashed.  I am going to have to sift through the downloads instead of praying that they all work.  I hope to get through most of them before the next week.  I really want to do this challenge cause I such at decorating and such. 

EDIT:  Not only the above.  But I don't even know how to get the dang water out of the basement.  The ground isn't leveled....ahhhh...runs and hides in a corner looking for solutions.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2015, 09:26PM by ranabluu »

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2015, 10:11PM »
Does it?! I don't remember it being there in my game. I'll have to go look again. Try moving the lot to another area and see if it goes away.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2015, 11:33PM »
Yeah, it's fine in my game...

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2015, 08:27AM »
You know operator error is always to blame.  I moved the lot and there is not water in the basement, the terrain is still bumpy but that's okay lol.  Thanks for the help, still sifting.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2015, 12:16PM »
The lot is a little lumpy to begin with so I guess it'll match? I'm having trouble with this place. I edited the basement a little because I realized the floor is a lot lower than the standard wall height. So I brought it up and leveled it, then made it slightly wider down there while maintaining the original outer shape. Though I did make small changes to put windows in so there'd be some light, but the outer wall is still straight so I'll consider it okay.

Otherwise it's a struggle.

Offline shastakiss

• Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2015, 04:25AM »
I've never been happy with any of the 37 different makeovers I've done for that Strangetown lot! That won't stop me from trying again though, count me in c:

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2015, 11:10AM »
I'm wondering if that number is real or an exaggeration, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did take that many to get it right! I'm sure your result will look great! :D

It's slow going on this end because I wind up dismantling half of what I do, but I think I'm finally getting there. Feels like a lot of my trouble is that I tend to over-complicate things. I've gotten into the habit of preferring things that are kind of cobbled together vs just taking an object that already exists. Of course it's not likely to be functional but in this case I'm not too concerned.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2015, 10:57AM by yuichen »

Offline gdayars

• Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2015, 04:57PM »
This looks fun! I actually had to register for to post to get in on this! My only question is do we upload the end result or do we just post pictures?

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2015, 05:42PM »
Knowing Shasta it's probably not made up, lol.