Author Topic: Mississippi has Comic Con  (Read 59075 times)

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
Re: Mississippi has Comic Con
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2015, 12:14PM »
We have Michaels, a fancy more artsy place called DeSerres (that have a great custom framing area), and I'm sure there's probably some US companies over in Ontario. A lot of places don't come to Quebec because of the language laws. Govt is currently after some companies to try and force the french translation (Costco and Old Navy come to mind).

There are a lot of Michaels out towards Montreal but we just got ours in Sherbrooke (40ish minutes away) this spring in the old Best Buy building. I was excited about it but I've yet to go, lol.

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 01, 2015, 07:29PM »
You are too funny.  I will most likely got to Michaels or Joann.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 01, 2015, 08:06PM »
Are there any AC Moore's around? There's one close to my hometown. My mom prefers it over both Michaels or Joann. I've only been a couple times but there's tons of really nice stuff there.

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 03, 2015, 07:05AM »
Your mother would be correct, I think AC Moore's prices are better they don't have a fabric :(.  I don't have an AC Moore here, I believe it's more of a east coast northern thing.  When I lived in Connecticut I would go there and stay for at least an hour looking for the deals. 

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 03, 2015, 11:15AM »
Oh okay, I thought they did have it :/ I'm not sure about Michaels or Joanns, but I know AC has some sort of points system thing cause my mom saves a bunch of money that way too.

Lol, the few times I went we were in there quite a while too.

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 03, 2015, 08:47PM »
You could really get lost in a craft store if you are a true crafter...I'm a poser.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2015, 10:43PM »
Growing up there were always craft projects going on in my family. My dad's sisters were really into it and they got my mom going too. She made me a ton of neat barbie furniture out of plastic canvas and yarn. They made decorations, knitted, mom and I  dabbled in scrapbooking for a while, and I remember making all kinds of really atrocious looking christmas ornaments out of those pipecleaner things and beads. I'm kind of surprised I never had a bedazzler, lol.

I have a bunch of stuff but I haven't done all that much lately. The last few years I made a bunch of christmas gifts. One year I made a lot of small ornaments because my friend gets small trees and said they had trouble finding some. I made my mom a jewelry cabinet using a painted bamboo utensil tray with hooks and a most of a bulletin board for the door (I swapped the corkboard for etched plexi glass). I think it was the same year I made a horseshoe necklace for a friend out of hammered wire. Last year I made polaroid coasters for both my grandmother, and my brother and his girlfriend. I also made a custom glass set with a sandblasted bubble design (which came out so good I didn't really want to give it away, lol). Made my aunt a set of vanilla candles with cinnamon sticks secured around the outside with hemp cord and black ribbon.

I have more beads and wire than anything though. I wanted to get good at wire wrapping things (mostly beach glass), and some of it went alright, but I haven't really been feeling it for a while.
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2015, 10:48PM by yuichen »

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 04, 2015, 05:32AM »
OMG you we can be craft sisters.  If I told you all the craft stuff I had you would not believe me.  I really only crochet now but I have so much other stuff that I want to get into that it's a shame.  That's my passion retire from the military and own a small craft location to sell hand made things, that is what I wanted to do with my mom before she passed in 2012 and own a bread and breakfast with handmade gift shop items.  I still want to do those things to fulfill the need to have my mom be apart of it in in spirit. 

I would love to see some of your work.  The horseshoe necklace is so cool.  My garage and craft room looks like and episode of hoarders so I haven't been able to work.  Now that I have moved to Mississippi the hoarding has started but not to heavy.  I want to create stuff not have stuff just because.  The walmart near my house has fabric on sale and on Thursday I went a little crazy.  I got some really cute fabric, now I just need to make stuff to give away and sale.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 04, 2015, 04:15PM »
Aww, I'm sorry about your mom :( Sounds like that would have been really great and I'm glad you still want to do it. Something nice to look forward to :) I suppose having all the unused stuff is still good though cause it'll be there when you feel up to it, or have time.

I put pics of some stuff here, and the glasses I mentioned. I wont share pics of the polaroid coasters just because it's other people's faces who might not want them up.

Maybe you could start off selling your things on etsy.

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 04, 2015, 05:13PM »
I have given Etsy many thoughts and I am a big chicken.  I do want to create and sell so I am not sure why I am so afraid.  I told myself that I would have to be more dedicated to me and to everyone else.

All of your creations are so wonderful.  Thanks for showing them to me.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 04, 2015, 05:36PM »
It definitely would have to be more of a commitment. Although if there's a time you're going to be be busy or away for a while (and you don't have any sold items to ship off) you can set it to "on vacation" and no one will be able to buy anything until you set it normal again. I don't know if that means they put your listing on hold and the time resumes when the store is live again or not. But still, I suppose it depends on how busy your store becomes.

Avelina has a store, as does her mother. When I stop being lazy and make some decent stuff I plan to open one myself.

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 04, 2015, 06:34PM »
That's amazing.  I was just about about to say let me see your store lol. 
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2015, 06:33AM by ranabluu »

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 04, 2015, 11:12PM »
Lol, someday :P

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 05, 2015, 06:34AM »
I think I will create 100 items and look into the store.  I really need to use all the stuff I buy.  I have so many ideas in my head but never put them all to use.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 05, 2015, 12:36PM »
Hopefully you wont forget what some of them are before you have the chance!