Author Topic: Community Issues  (Read 18380 times)

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
Community Issues
« on: Jun 14, 2015, 08:33AM »
Hi,

It don't want to be mean in this post but wish to have an outlet on something unfortunately it has something to do with the community or people in it.

So I have two issues hopefully I can keep it bland enough not to offend anyone.

So as I always state I am a better downloader than uploader.  I created an objected but it required work and the information I received wasn't received like I think the poster intended.  (I have to always tell myself that people don't always use tact and if people are from other countries, sometimes things gets lost in translation.)  It offended me and made me not want to visit the site or converse with the people at the site.  Wonders if I am too sensitive...

Second issue...Do you think people are jealous of the friendships that are created in and on sites?  If so why?

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
Re: Community Issues
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2015, 12:41PM »
I definitely think people get jealous about friendships, on or offline. There's all different kinds of reasons, but I'd guess the biggest is probably that they think really highly of someone and wish they could be as close to them as their friends are. They might also resent the fact that some people can make friends so easily while they can't and would love to have such a strong bond like some of the groups around the community. I think there's also the chance that a person was already close to them and said friend got really close to someone else so they feel left behind or kind of invisible.

As for feedback on your object, it may just be a translation thing like you said. Have they said anything else in other areas of the forum that kind of suggests they do it a lot? Did it seem like they were in a mood to begin with? Maybe you could ask them to clarify because you're not sure it's coming across as intended. The downside of that of course is having the knife driven deeper if they did mean what they said :/

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2015, 01:44PM »
The object thing...I did not notice it in any other location.  Not only that but whenever someone starts off telling you that they don't want to be mean, rude, etc....I find that's the intent.  Like when people (drag queens usually) no shade meant but shade comes..... :-[

The friendship thing is that I am a very awkward person when it comes to conversing and talking to so for me when I do make a friend it's like yeah someone gets me for all of my "crazy" and "unnormalness" but I am no one to be jealous over.  Really!

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2015, 02:36PM »
Ohhh, I see. Yeah, that doesn't sound good :( If they wanted to give constructive criticism they could have worded it way nicer, so... but then again, maybe there's still the language thing. I don't know, hmm :(

They must think you've got something they don't. Maybe they feel like you have more in common with the person than they do and feel a little threatened by it.

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2015, 03:33PM »
I just give up visiting places.  I try to keep my feelings under wraps and not take things personally.  I do hope to get my computer and create some things and post them where there are no problems.

Honestly, I have nothing.  I always try and treat people like I want to be treated, that's it.  Pretty simple.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2015, 04:19PM »
Man, the community sure isn't what it used to be. It's kind of sad to see it go the way it has but I guess that's just how it is sometimes. Things are always going to change and not necessarily for the better. Seems like after Sims3 came out there was a whole lot of snobbery and it only got worse with Sims4. I don't really keep up with most places anymore. I used to really love GOS and while nothing happened to change it, I just feel like... the old community is gone. The rise of tumblr kind of scattered everyone and nothing really feels personal or like a second home anymore. At least for me anyway. I was never a social butterfly to begin with but I feel pretty disconnected now. And this isn't me being anti newer game generations; I like all of the games. I just prefer who we all were before Sims3.

Simple sounds pretty good to me :)

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2015, 06:00PM »
I think the community was broken before TS3.  I think the problem is everyone wants to be in charge of everything, lol.  I was never apart of the community so I didn't notice much of anything lol.  I do feel with more social media outlets the more we are disconnected.  I think people that stir up mess might have mess in their real life as well.  I am late to the party for TS2 because I was still playing TS1 and didn't want to pay all of that money they were asking just like with TS4 but TS3 was a failure with miniature wins.  The problem with companies/organizations are that they are always looking for ways to get people that are not interested back interested.  If you noticed there has been a resurgence of former simmers but have you noticed what they are coming back to......TS1 or TS2, not only that TS4 is really overpriced.  On a weird side note: I am not feeling well today...not sure why but I feel yucky.  I also have to go on another trip for work, lol.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2015, 08:43PM »
Bad timing for that trip, eep :/ Hope you feel better soon.

Oh it definitely had its issues. There's always someone who's going to be a jerk and cause stuff, and I suppose there even used to be more strict TOU's back then. But as a whole I don't feel like it was as bad as now. Or maybe it's just more obvious than it used to be with the new platforms we use to converse.

Ultimate Collection really helped draw people back, especially considering it was free. Also a good way to show newcomers where the franchise (kind of) started. They've definitely become money hungry and it's sad to see, but on one hand I feel like they're trying a little harder to give people what they want with Sims4, base game cost aside of course. The stuff and game packs are pretty cheap, and I didn't find the expansion all that expensive considering. Granted I can't quite remember how much the Sims3 expansions were at release. I don't tend to pay full price anyway.

I don't know. I just wish people didn't have to be so nasty to each other over a game. You know, something that is meant to be an escape and have fun with.

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2015, 07:30PM »
Thanks for the well wishes.  I feel better, I guess I am not ready to drive 4.5 hours to AL. :(

I am glad TS4 isn't that much.  I believe TS3 was high not as high as TS4 but it was up there.  I really wish they would have dedicated some more time to giving us one last ep/sp in TS2 but no they didn't.  I really wanted the unsavory charlatan to get beat up and or arrested but no such luck. 

I am thinking that people will get away with as much as they can until someone tells them where to go...I always try to get get along with things and I suppose that's what I will continue to just deal with the bs and if I don't like it I don't have to visit the site.

The social media outlets are another thing because we are always going to a site where someone got upset and decided to delete their items.  Randomness...

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2015, 08:32PM »
I'm kind of surprised they didn't keep making things for Sims2 even though 3 was coming out. They sure love their money after all, so why not milk it? You know there's always players who refuse change.

Definitely. Maybe that's why I don't remember too much drama on forums because there was a mod team to keep people in line or get banned. At least at the places I frequented. I remember reading about a lot of issues at neighborhood99 though. But I agree. If I don't like people at a website I don't go, or just ignore their existence.

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2015, 09:36PM »
I have only heard of neighborhood 99 I don't think I have been there ever.

I guess that's why sim secret's emerged.  I find reading it very funny and sad.  I don't know half the sites nor people it's talking about but I don't have such a hard opinion about simmers or sites since I only download and have nothing really to contribute to the community. 

I had read that they were going to release a new TS2 game but they released TS3 instead.  I have seen SP's from simmers some great and some not so great.  I do love the clothing that's released just hate searching for the dang meshes when they are not included.

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2015, 12:07AM »
Really? I hadn't heard that. I wonder what it would have been like :/

I don't know most of what they're talking about there either, especially when it comes to tumblr people. I rarely see any drama happening on my dashboard, just people commenting on it. There's the occasional pissy ask that gets posted but it's never anything too serious. Some secrets are pretty heartbreaking though, and it takes a lot of courage to share it with people who are otherwise bickering over game aesthetics and a bad case of the cc grabby hands. It is nice to see some people get some love too. That place can use all the positivity it can get.

Offline ranabluu

• One Who Says Ni
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2015, 10:22AM »
Hi,

You know I find it to be really funny because the people are not brave enough to say how they feel to the people, well most of them.  I also find that a lot of the people are complaining about stuff that I don't really see a problem with.  If there were no complaints what would we have.....

Offline yuichen

• Mexican Whooping Llama
  • Holy Hand Grenade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2015, 11:41AM »
Definitely. I think some people just like to talk too much and will say anything to get people going.

Offline LizzyL

• Elderberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2015, 08:22PM »
Hello Rana :)

I'd feel it'd be awkward to post on your thread here as new member, but without giving details on Community issues, here's what I feel.

I've known social sites like Myspace, Facebook, so the conflicts we face inside the Simmers community are very similar to the ones you'd have on other Internet places, without any exception.

It's easy to sit behind a computer, nobody knows you in real life. So some people find it rather "convenient" to rant, bully, blame, call names.

You mentioned simsecret LJ. With just this exhibitionism-voyeurism unhealthy online mental game, no wonder that some Simmers might feel extremely hurt about hate posts about them, their CC or site, blog, etc. Here I speak of experience, of having been targetted from the very beginning when I started to share my clothing retextures or "conversions" on other meshes with better shoes. I remember a hate comment about my "revamp" of an old glitter dress by Tehhi from Russia -Tehhi's very old site is still up today and Tehhi is really a nice person. It was at my first forum about this Tehhi dress revamp. But if some people don't like some CC, they don't need to download at all. And why then create a special hate meme about one dress or anything that one doesn't like ? Waste of time.

But other than this, since some very old debates (pay vs free), many meshers quit creating, left the whole community for good and sometimes removed their whole CC database. Because I think it's also very human, then when attacked by envious, jealous people (I have one famous Italian modder in mind who was attacked and he told me in E-mails), one would just close a chapter and move on, say goodbye and farewell. Some people took many hours, weeks or months of their free time to create, help improve the game with mods, tools (SimPE, CEP, no longer supported by their respective creators)... Some gratitude isn't just flat 'thanks' with a smiley but respect.

I have no tumblr and don't want any. Not because I'd be found, tracked down by one person who is there and posted about me - it's plain cyberbullying and defamation. I just have nothing very special to say and I'm not greedy for getting a huge amount of followers. My personality trait is to seek quietness and I love solitude too.

Online, I don't want to make friends anymore. For me friendship is a too high value to not be spoiled. A few people on sites managed to destroy completely some virtual friendships and today I decided that inside the Simmers community and other non Sims places I won't be trapped anymore. I don't mind people treating me like a pure stranger. So I put up a fence to protect myself. I have a family life, other hobbies in daily life and this matters more to me today. I still create for fun but after past events I'll decide what I'll share or not. I don't offer anything easily anymore on a silver plate. I stopped saying "Yes" all the time.